Sunday, April 4, 2010

Eggs and Fertility and Zombies, oh my!


Happy Zombie Jesus Day!

And Eostre, the Vernal Equinox, though it actually fell on my birthdate this year and those new-fangled carpenter-followers are doing it all late.


I made a batch of regular marshmallows for today that looked rather plain. I painted some dye designs on the top while they dry.


First use of my new electric mixer!


Sugar syrup cooking and gelatin blooming.


Starting to beat the syrup and gelatin together. I took this picture while the beater was whirring around -- go camera!


Halfway through the ten minutes of beating, again during the spin cycle.


Added vanilla extract after 10 minutes of beating, about to mix it all up.


All mixed!


All poured!

I'll update this post once I cut and color them.

Evil Bitch-Monster of Death's note: I find the marshmallows too sweet with 2/3 c. corn syrup. In the recipes in which I replaced most of it it with something else (chocolate, maraschino cherry liquid), the sweetness came out great. For plain batches, I suggest using only 1/3 - 1/2 c. corn syrup.

Eat chocolate (and eggs, they go so well together) and be merry!

Recipe reminder: www.cookingforengineers.com.

Update: I decided not to dip the edges in colors as that would have added drying time.


Cutting the marshmallow sheet.


Tapping the edge of Zombie Jesus Eye in corn starch. Photographic evidence of my inability to follow the instructions on the corn starch jar: "no mess."


Sharing tray prepared for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contribute to the collective: