Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Marshmallows


Marshmallows!



After a discussion with my sister-in-law about how commercial marshmallows have deteriorated into disgusting, un-roastable little snowman turds, I looked up a recipe for marshmallows on www.cookingforengineers.com. This is the first batch -- I stirred in some mini chocolate chips before setting them, then dipped them in chocolate once I cut them into squares and tapped the edges in corn starch to prevent sticking. The recipe called for using powdered sugar on the edges, but they were plenty sweet without it.


In the next batch, I stirred chopped maraschino cherries. Can't locate a picture, but I plan to make another batch of those for Lupercalia 2010.

Evil Bitch-Monster of Death's note: I find the marshmallows too sweet with 2/3 c. corn syrup. In the recipes in which I replaced most of it it with something else (chocolate, maraschino cherry liquid), the sweetness came out great. For plain batches, I suggest using only 1/3 - 1/2 c. corn syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contribute to the collective: